When Wallace Waite, Arthur Rose and David Taylor opened their first small grocery shop at 263 Acton Hill, West London in 1904, little did they know that within a century the company would have become one of the country's leading food retailers employing over 37,000 people.
The John Lewis Partnership acquired the business in 1937, opening the first Waitrose supermarket in 1955. Today there are 185 branches, dedicated to offering quality, value and customer service.
There are Waitrose shops throughout England, Scotland and Wales. Locations range from high streets to edge of town sites and vary in size from just 7,000 square feet to approximately 56,000 feet. The John Lewis Partnership as a whole employs nearly 68,000 Partners and has a turnover in excess of ??6 billion. As well as Waitrose, it runs 26 John Lewis department stores throughout the UK, several manufacturing concerns and a farm.